The West’s Long War Against Serbia and The Paradox of Yugoslav History
By: Rodoljub Rodja Cheranich
A long-time defender of historical justice in the Balkans recently wrote, “I have become so disillusioned with this whole situation. The media and our politicians have demonized the Serbs so successfully, that I doubt they will ever be able to come back as a people. We didn’t even treat the Germans this badly after they lost the war.” by Gilles d’Aymery in a SWANS.com Commentary
An entire nation (Serbia) is being satanized in a fantastic media campaign- what the world does not know yet – that a Nazi state is emerging in Croatia – Daniel Schiffer, associate of the Elie Wiesel Foundation
What is the well spring for the West’s fearing, loathing, and hate of Serbia and everything connected to Serbian ethnic identity. What have the Serbs done to deserve such treatment – assaults in every way imaginable – economic, political, propaganda, and military? As Gilles d’Aymery stated above, the West did not treat the Germans as badly after World War II in which 50 million people died or did the West treat the Soviets, the Arabs, or any other enemy as cruelly as they have the Serbs. And then consider that Serbia was the US and UK strongest ally in both World Wars, such that the flag of Serbia flew of the US Capitol on June 28, 1918 in appreciation for the super human efforts and sacrifices Serbia made in the First World War. What is the answer to this paradox of Serbian history?
The most important and traumatic event in Serbia’s modern history is one no one talks about, yet is the root cause of all the troubles that have plagued the former Yugoslavia for the past 20 years. Psychiatrist often use a phrase, “the 800lb gorilla in the living room” to describe an abusive family relationship, This phrase is used typically to described an alcoholic that terrorizes a family with unspeakable violence, yet the family, out of fear, misplaced shame, guilt, and exhaustion covers up the abuse so that everything appears somewhat normal to the outside world. The Serbs have had an “800lb gorilla” in their house for the last 60 years. A event so traumatic and yet important to Serbs that the effort of the abusers to make everything appear to be “normal” has been the inspiration for a 60 year long effort to destroy Serbian history, cultural, and their ethnic identity. The event that no one dare speak of, Serbia’s 800lb gorilla goes by many names – the Serbian Holocaust, the Vatican’s Holocaust, the Vatican’s Auschwitz, Genocide in the Independent State of Croatia, and perhaps the most accurate name – the Unknown Holocaust.
The central question, to those who are pondering this great paradox (the most important event in modern Serb history and yet for all practical purposes Serbs do not speak of it) of Serbian history, is, “How is it that the Spanish Inquisition is still well know by the world’s general public even though it happened five hundred years ago and its death toll (100,000) was just a fraction of the Catholic Church inspired Serbian Holocaust (750,000+) and yet the Serbian Holocaust which happened in the age of mass communication and the living memory of millions of people is virtually unknown outside of Serbia? Of course the answer is easy and clear, The British, the Americans, the Vatican, the rest of the West wanted it that way. Collectively they had the power to change regimes, the power to intimidate the survivors, the money to buy silence, and a mass media that practiced self censorship.
The West’s on going war against Serbia began as the winners and losers of World War II became obvious by late 1942 – early 1943, when the British realized that a Soviet victory was a certainty and that the post war political landscape of Europe would see the Red Army occupying much of Catholic Europe. Thus began the largest covert intelligence operation in WW II history – destroy an entire nation of innocent witnesses to history greatest crime. Because of the crime’s magnitude and the ultimate guilty party, the Roman Catholic Church, deception became the strategy for the cover up. Make the actual guilty (fanatic Catholics and Muslims) nameless, make the real victims (Serb Orthodox) guilty.
“It is an irony of history that Tito should have been the creation of the capitalist democracies of Great Britain and the United States. His movement, even at its height, was a minority that had won itself the active hostility of the mass of Serbs, Croats, and Slovene peoples. By arming the movement, by providing it with the services of the BBC and American radio, by converting the democratic press into a propaganda agent for it, by sending Allied officers into Yugoslavia to be used as propaganda exhibits in its recruiting efforts, and finally cloaking it in their own enormous moral authority, Great Britain and the United States made themselves directly responsible for Tito’s rise to power”. From the “Web of Disinformation, Churchill’s Yugoslav Blunder” by David Martin, 1990, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, San Diego and New York.
Yes, the decisive role of the UK/US in bringing Tito to power in Yugoslavia is universally acknowledge, but was British and American support for Tito a blunder or a mistake as David Martin and many Serb believe or was it the oldest strategy of warfare – the enemy of my enemy is my friend?
“Military deception was as old as warfare itself, but it is doubtful whether any military command ever employed deception as a fundamental tool of strategic planning as completely and rigorously as did the British did during World War II”. General Eisenhower aptly concluded, “they (the British) resorted to every type of subterfuge”.
From Deceiving the Deceivers by Samuel J. Hamrick, 2004, Yale Press.
It was Gen. Eisenhower who insisted that Draza Mihailovic receive America’s Legion of Merit, its highest foreign recipient military award.
[President] Roosevelt asked him [Yugoslav Ambassador to the US Fotic] on December 20, 1941 “How, after such horrible crimes we could expect (the Serbs) to live in the same state with the Croats”. And on an earlier occasion he [Roosevelt] had said, “it would be for the Serbs to decide what sort of community they intended to retain with the Croats after the war”.
Hamilton Fish Armstrong told me [Ambassador Fotic], “We never understood his [Churchill] enthusiasm for Tito and his conviction he could get Tito away from the Russians”. From the “Fall of Yugoslavia” by Ilija Jukic, 1974, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York, London
As US Army Colonel Robert McDowell pointed out, Stalin tried several times from 1942 until early 1944 to have the British send a Soviet mission to Mihailovich and help prevent the war between Chetniks and Paritasns. Molotov told Eden (British Foreign Minister), in November 1943 at the end of the Tehran Conference “I would rather send our mission to Mihailovich than Tito to find out more information on events there”.
In January 1944 General Kornevv who was sent as Chief of Soviet mission to Tito, asked Bill Deakin who was sent in May 1943 as the first British mission with Tito, why were the British helping Tito when the Soviets had no confidence in the military worth of the Partisans and consider Mihailovich resistance as the only group of some significance … at the time, Deakin said “I thought Korneev must have believed that we were helping Tito because of some secret political motive”. From a speech by Nikola R. Pasic May 15, 1993
“According to Edvard Kardelj, prime minister of Yugoslavia under Tito, Stalin exerted pressure on the Partisans “to reach an understanding with the Cetniks at all cost and set up a joint army under the command of Mihailovic”.
In mid 1942, however something strange happened to change Soviet policy towards Yugoslavia. In one way or another the supercautious Stalin must have received intelligence that it has become safe to break with Mihailovic without endangering the relationship with Churchill. Indeed, the abrupt and dramatic manner in which the change occurred strongly suggest that the Soviet government must have possessed intelligence leading it to believe, even at that early date, that Churchill could be persuaded on his own, to backing Tito. Certainly Stalin was in no position and would be in no position before the Red Army entered in Yugoslavia, to assist Tito materially.
It can be taken for granted that one of the factors of Stalin’s decision was the almost irresistible prospect of brining Soviet power to the shores of the Adriatic, thus achieving the age old Russian dream of access to warm water seas. One would have imagined that an old war horse like Winston Churchill, no admirer of Bolshevism and accustomed to think in strategic terms, would have understood the basic implication of this switch in Soviet policy. But he did not. – from The Web of Disinformation Churchill’s Yugoslav Blunder by David Martin,1990, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, San Diego and New York.
Poor David Martin and Stalin, they both took the British bait that Churchill supported Tito because his forces were killing more Germans. And who was the source of the phony intelligence that changed Stalin’s mind from supporting Mihailovic to Tito, why none other than the British themselves. And poor Mr. Martin also wants us to believe that Churchill couldn’t see that he was handing Yugoslavia to the communist. Mr. Martin, that’s exactly what Churchill wanted to do with Yugoslavia – hand it to the communist. It was a win – win for the British. If Tito did as the British expected and let “Brotherhood and Unity cover up the Serbian Holocaust, then that’s a win. On the other hand, if Tito became a true communist, then the British would propagandize that “look, Tito is a communist attacking the Catholic Church, therefore its all just communist propaganda and not to be believed”, another win. However, given Serbia’s WWI contributions to the Allied victory and its WW II, March 27th revolution that stunned the world, and Mihailovic’s early war fame, its world wide acclamation and reservoir of good will would give any Serb charges against the Catholic Church enormous credibility. So, the British needed to prevent a Serbian Orthodox victory at any cost by destroying Mihailovic’s credibility. What really concerned the British as we will see, was the world to come after the war. A Serbian pawn would be sacrificed to save the Roman Catholic Queen for the coming chess game of the Cold War.
The above introduction serve as ample illustrations that Yugoslav history in WWII is the most complex, contradictory and paradoxical in modern world history. Just consider the following:
• Within WWII Yugoslavia, you find the most fanatic Nazi ally Catholic Croatia and the most anti Nazi foe Orthodox Serbia
• President Roosevelt supports Draza Mihailovich and the Serbian Orthodox pro Western and democratic Serbian resistance movement while the British support the so called communist Tito
• Stalin supports the Serbian Orthodox Mihailovic until his mind is changed by British deception
• Mihailovich and the Serbian Orthodox resistance fight Nazi Germany when it is at the height of it power, but according to the British start collaborating with the Germans as soon as Germany’s defeat becomes inevitable.
• Churchill sends emissaries to Tito who are personally loyal to him, including his son Randolph and his secretary William Deakin, while the British send Col William Bailey to Mihailovich. Bailey immediate previous assignment was organizing Croat émigré communist in Canada for guerilla warfare training and insertion into Yugoslavia. While with Mihailovich, Bailey attempts to orchestrate the assassination of Mihailovich.
• The British claim that they support Tito because he is more effective at fighting the Germans, yet US General Eisenhower accuse the British of cowardliness for refusing to fight the Germans and delaying D Day for nearly two years.
• American Admiral King stops all joint naval operations with the British after the British sabotage the largest supply convoy (Convoy PQ 17) to Russia.
• Tito is the only communist resistance movement supported by the British. He receives more material aid than all other resistance movements in Europe combined. The much larger (respectively in their countries) and more effective French, Greek and Italian communist not only do not receive aid from the British, they are opposed by the British.
Most of the problems of present day former Yugoslavia and the catalyst for the wars of the 1990s can trace their roots directly to how Yugoslavia came out of WW II. More specifically, the problem Serbs (both in Serbia and the Diaspora) have faced since WW II is that their history is a lie. The most monstrous lie of the 20th century based on misinformation, half truth, outright fabrications and propaganda and crafted primarily by the British, the Vatican and the US.
Even the so called revisions, such as the “communist mole in British intelligence tricked the British into supporting Tito” are a just another British deception, hence a lie based on a lie.
The standard Western reason the British (who were “in charge of Yugoslavia during the war) have spun for the betrayal of Serbia in WW II was that Tito’s communist Partisans were a more effective fighting force against the Germans than the Serbian Orthodox (Chetnik) resistance. As we will see a bit later, the British really could care less who was killing more Germans or any Germans for that matter in Yugoslavia. However, when the debriefings of Allied intelligence officers were made public, it became clear that the actual and potential military contributions and power of the Serbian Orthodox resistance was an order of magnitude greater then the Partisan. Then the story that the Serbian Diaspora at least, seems to believe is “we (US/UK) were tricked by communist moles into supporting Tito”. The truth is that the “Communist mole” story is just another half clever deception game (much like the phony weapons of mass destruction gambit was used against Iraq and believed by most unquestioning Americans). So, let’s get the communist mole theory out of the way upfront.
US state department official and Cold War espionage researcher Samuel J. Hamrick proves beyond doubt and as his obituary in the Boston Globe tells us in the review of his book “Deceiving the Deceivers”, “Philby and his four associates who had been exposed in 1967 for passing top secret information to the Soviets, had in fact been unwitting tools in a disinformation campaign staged by their superiors in British intelligence” In other words, what the British did was not to expose Philby and company, but rather use them as unwitting accomplices to conduit misinformation to the Soviets, hence the title of Hamrick’s book “Deceivers the Deceivers” So, in reality, among other things, the Soviets were trick by the British into believing Tito was a legitimate resistance leader instead of what he really was – a tool of the British. As noted above, Molotov wanted British help (which the British refused) to send a Soviet mission to Mihailovic to gather intelligence and prevent the civil war between Partisans and Chetniks. The Soviets had virtually no contact with Tito for at least three years and were highly suspicious of British involvement with Tito. It was the British who were controlling Tito, not the Soviets.
Further, take the case of James Klugman, the man the British put in charge of the Yugoslav desk in SOE Cairo. Klugman according to the “communist mole theorist” was falsifying intelligence coming out of Yugoslavia to bolster the Partisan image and minimize the Chetnik contributions. To be sure, Klugman did do this, but was he a mole. Absolutely not, Klugman was a well known, even flamboyant communist in England for years before the war.
“Klugmann was a hard core communist and Stalinist who had joined the Communist Party of Great Britain in 1933 while still at Cambridge and was suspected of being a Soviet spy or mole… He was an open and militant communist who wrote the “History of the Communist Party of Great Britain, From Trotsky to Tito… Klugmann was at the center of a web of disinformation that included members of Special Operations Executive, SOE Cairo, British Secret Intelligence Service, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), and the Political Warfare Executive (PWE) – from an article published by Serbianna. Com by historian Carl Savich
Klugmann’s superiors in British intelligence deliberately put him in this position, calculating that he would do exactly what he did do. Let’s put a rattlesnake in a cage with a rabbit and see whether the snake kills the rabbit. Surprise, the snake killed the rabbit, surprise, Klugman falsified intelligence coming out of Yugoslavia in favor of Tito. Klugmann’s role was to deceive the Soviets into changing their support from Mihailovic to Tito. British Catholics came to the same conclusion that Tito would be better for the Catholic Church than an avenging Orthodox Serbia. As British and American operatives stationed with Mihailovic forces came out of Yugoslavia, they strongly protested the falsified intelligence attributing Chetnik actions to the Partisan. These protests should have alerted the deaf, blind, and dumb British that they had a communist mole, but it didn’t, because the British already knew about Klugmann and approved heartily his work – deceiving Stalin into supporting Tito.
“A conservative and an ardent Catholic, Greenlees prayed every night that God would help his friends to find their way to the true faith. When Klugmann died, Greenlees wrote an impressively generous letter to the editor of Special Forces Club newsletter in which he said… I recommended him for sergeant and, before I left for Yugoslavia for a commission” – from The Web of Disinformation Churchill Yugoslav Blunder by David Martin, 1990, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, San Diego and New York.
It made the betrayal of Serbia another win – win for the British, blame their (British) evil machinations on their real enemy (the communist). The real and effective falsifiers of Yugoslav war intelligence were Randolph Churchill, William Deakin, and Fitzroy MacLean, all Winston Churchill cronies. It was Deakin and MacLean who produced the complete fantasy estimates of Partisan numerical strength in Serbia, which was used as the central and compelling reason for abandoning Mihailovic. Later when their estimates were shown to be complete nonsense, they recanted their story, sorry old boy; I guess we made a mistake. That is about as believable as a used car salesman who hasn’t closed a deal in a month. The crime Churchill was committing against Serbia demanded that those who were unquestionably and personally loyal to him could be entrusted with its execution.
There has never been an official British apologize or acknowledgement of their so called Yugoslav blunder. These are stories and they are just that, unsubstantiated third party stories of Churchill calling his decision to support Tito a mistake. No apology either from Major Greenlees, the ardent Catholic who promoted the communist Klugmann at SOE Cairo even after he knew of Klugmann’s role in the betrayal of Mihailovic. See used car salesman above. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Apparently, you can fool the Serb American community forever. As they say in Vegas, the fix was in. Actually the fix was in since late 1941 when Col. Bailey went to Canada to recruit Croat communist to form a British controlled anti Serb guerrilla army.
The Real History of the Pre War Period and World War II
The history of World War Two and pre war period has been so manipulated and obscured to serve the needs of the Cold War the following real history is all but forgotten:
• The British and Americans mired in a decade long Great Depression knew that left alone, the Soviet Union would have the world’s largest economy and most powerful military by 1950.
“Great Britain, France and the Vatican promoted fascism in Europe including bringing Hitler to power in Germany as a “bulwark against Bolshevism” Even American State Department Officials had similar views” Only Nazi Germany could stay the advance of Soviet Bolshevism in Europe… many of the career State Department officials shared Bullet’s cynical enthusiasm for Hitler’s talents” from “The Splendid Blond Beast” by Christopher Simpson, 1995, Common Courage Press, Monroe.
• In additional to facilitating Mussolini in Italy, Franco in Spain, and Hitler in Germany, the Vatican is organizing fascist forces in the “Intermariam” (between the Baltic and Adriatic Seas ) Catholic Curtain counties – Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and of course Croatia (temporarily a part of larger Orthodox Yugoslavia) as a political/military barrier against the Soviet Union.
• Hitler did not want to conquer Great Britain, instead he sought an alliance (as the maritime component to Germany land forces) with Britain in his anti Soviet (Russian) crusade.
• “They (Neville Chamberlain, Lord Halifax, Sir John Simon, and Sir Samuel Hoarse) were sure the Soviet Union and the Soviet Union only was the enemy of the Axis and that they (UK) could quite easily come to a business like arrangement with Hitler” from “Outline of World History’ by H. G. Wells.
“In his blueprint for Germany’s future, Britain had been assigned the role as an unconquered and independent nation who would become Germany’s maritime ally. She would act as buffer against the United States while the Fuhrer completed his takeover of the entire continental land mass of Europe. Comp temporary academic scholarship has demonstrated that, far from being driven by irrational Anglophobia, Hitler’s foreign policy objectives were remarkably consistent – if megalomaniac – through his career. The achievement of his ultimate goal of German world dictatorship depending on reaching an accommodation with Britain. From “Ten Days to Destiny: The Secret Story of the Hess Peace Initiative and British Efforts to Strike and Deal With Hitler” by John Costello, 1993, Harper Collins Publishers.
On May 10, 1941, in one of WW II’s most bizarre episodes, Rudolph Hess, the deputy fuhrer of Germany, parachuted onto Scottish soil. Costello uses recently declassified material to answer 50 years of speculation about the true purpose of Hess’s mission. And his book offers some astonishing revelations. Among them: prominent members of Britain’s ruling establishment (led by foreign secretary Lord Halifax) tried to negotiate a compromise peace with Hitler at the time of the fall of France in 1940; prime minister Churchill had to bluff and bully his war cabinet into rejecting Hitler’s tempting peace overtures; the fuhrer’s Halt Order of May 23, 1940, was a stratagem to persuade the British government to accept a deal. As to the Hess mission, the record now shows that the deputy fuhrer brought not only an authoritative peace proposal but an invitation from Hitler to support Germany’s imminent crusade against the Soviet Union. – from a review of “Ten Days to Destiny.”
• The Conservative Party faction around Winston Churchill who was as interested in the destruction of the Soviets as Chamberlain, Halifax, and Hitler distrusted the latter and feared the former may prevail in a war with Germany, so his plan was to ensnare the US in the war, which, of course we all know succeeded very well.
• The period between the defeat of Poland and the invasion of the Low Countries and France was correctly labeled as the “phony war” In other words as long as German aggression is headed east towards the Soviet Union, Britain and France had no reason or desire to actually fight Germany. After all this is consistent with Britain’s real policy aim – use Hitler as a “useful idiot” in the mutual destruction of its two biggest continental rivals – Germany and the Soviet Union.
• However, the German General Staff, having experienced a two front war in WWI insisted on dealing with France and Britain before an attack on the Soviets. As a matter of strategic planning, the General Staff always considered England Germany’s historical enemy, and had indeed supported Germany’s Rapallo cooperation agreements with the Soviets in the 20’s. However Nazi Germany made no serious effort to conquer Britain, although it was easily in their means. The London Blitz was a “slap on the wrist”, a gesture the British understood as such, so in Western Catholic Europe for four years, life went on much as it did before the war, except the obvious fact of German occupation. In fact 95% of the destruction of life (30,000,000+ dead) and property in WWII Europe occurred in the Slav and/or Orthodox countries. Certainly this could not have been one of reasons why Pius XII did not speak out against Nazi Germany’s aggression.
• On Dec 8, 1941 one day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor Churchill says “we’ve won” We meaning the US and UK, but certainly not Yugoslavia or the Russians. From that date on what concerned the British was not the fate of Germany, that was sealed, but what would Europe look like after the war. Would there still be a Soviet Union, a vastly diminished Union, or a great Soviet Union astride of Nazified Europe”, only time would tell and as events unfolded
• The Serbian coup that toppled the government of Regent Prince Paul disrupts Germany’s timetable for “Operation Barbarossa” by a critical six weeks. President Roosevelt whose sympathies were clearly with Serbia throughout the war says that this event was the turning point of the war. John Keegan, the eminent British military historian calls the Serbian coup of March 27th (which had overwhelming popular support throughout Serbia) “one of the greatest acts of defiance to tyranny in European history”.
• The first and largest anti Nazi resistance movement is formed by unsurrendered Serbian remnants of the Yugoslav Army under the command of Draza Mihajlovic. This should be no surprise to anyone, including the British and Stalin (and which is why Stalin supported Mihailovic) as the military performance and heroism of the Serbs in the First World War, and centuries long tradition of guerilla warfare is unsurpassed among all the combatants and the Serbs capacity to endure suffering and deprivation without surrendering is unsurpassed in world history. In post Middle Age warfare, when a country casualties (killed) approached 5% of its population, even the most committed and bravest (for example the American Confederate States in the American Civil War or the Japanese in WWII) surrendered, however the Serbs in WWI lost nearly one third of her population including 56% of its males and did not surrender, so the British know very well they are dealing with a people who don’t make deals, but will literally fight to the death for their beliefs.
• New evidence made available after the end of the Cold War strongly indicates that the Rudolph Hess mission to Britain in 1941 resulted in an understanding that the British would give Nazi Germany a free hand to fight the Soviets by keeping the Western front inactive. For a detailed history of this refer to John Costello’s “Ten Days to Destiny”. So what there was in Western Europe was a de facto peace between the UK and Germany during WWII. This prompted Gen Eisenhower to record in his private memoirs that Britain refusal to open a second front to relieve the Soviets was betrayal of the Allied war strategy. Eisenhower as reported in a Canadian documentary on the Dieppe Raid commented to his fellow American officers on British cowardliness.
• The British were learning in detail by the summer of 1941 of the Catholic Church’s inspired Ustashe slaughter of Serbian Orthodox in the Independent State of Croatia. The death toll by the end of the summer of’41 is over 500,000. Jasenovac becomes the first death camp in Europe.
“The armed resistance to the Nazi occupation begin in Bosnia, and there the Croatian Fascists began an extermination of the Serbs which, in the whole annals of World War II was only surpassed in savagery by the mass extinction of Polish Jews – from the “Encyclopedia Britannica” 1954
“Judging by Pope Pius XII words, Croatia was an exemplary, not to say an idyllic kingdom, with which the Holy See was impatient to establish long lasting and official relations with so as to weld modern developments on to a history of its glorious past – it was not the country where hundreds of thousands of Orthodox were being slaughtered for religious and racial reasons, where Jews and Gypsies were bloodily pursued” form The Silence of Pius XII by Carlo Falconi, Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1970.
• Britain, starting in late 1941 began recruiting in Canada, known Croatian communist for training and insertion into Yugoslavia, despite the well known exploits of the Serbian Orthodox resistance. The nature enemy of this British inspired and supported guerrilla army would be the Serbian Orthodox resistance of Draza Mihailovic.
• Britain kept its options open in Yugoslavia by establishing contact with and minimally aiding both Mihajlovic’s and Tito’ forces.
• The forces of Mihailovic play an important role in the Allied victory in North Africa by destroying great quantities of German war material on Serbia’s railroads. The contributions to the war effort by the Partisans (who also fought with typical Serbian heroism) was minimal, simply because their main war objective was fight for power, actually against Yugoslav Army (Chetnicks), not against Germans.
• The Battle of Stalingrad stops German expansion into Russia. However, the decisive battle of WWII is at the Kursk Salient in July – August 1943. Here Germany is truly defeated and from this time on will be on the defensive and in retreat. And everyone knows it. Germany will lose the war. The Soviet Union will win – D Day or no D Day. It’s been a chestnut of Cold War propaganda as well as a fraud of Western histories to raise D Day [June 6, 1944] to the level of importance of Kursk. Germany lost nearly more men fighting the Russians every month for four years than they did fighting the Americans and British from D Day to the end of the war. From a British perspective (but not to the Americans, again to the credit of Roosevelt) D-Day was the rescue mission to save Germany (and her vast industry) from the Soviets.
• Ironically, the Red Army victory at Kursk will doom Draza Mihailovic and the Serbian people. For up until Kursk, the British government and the American Republican party (John Foster Dallas) are pushing a plan that calls for Germany to limit its conquest to the German speaking areas of Europe and then an alliance of the Western Allies (US/UK) with Germany against the Soviet Union.
“In time Allen Dulles and his brother John Foster Dulles became two of the most influential advocates of a separate peace tactics in elite US circles. John Foster Dulles already a senior foreign policy expert for the Republican Party – publicly declared in the spring of 1943 that Poland was the place to draw the line against the Soviets. Allen Dulles meanwhile opposed FDR’s agreement to seek unconditional surrender of Germany” from the History of World War II
After Kursk, Britain, the US, and every corporal and up in the war knew the Red Army was going to win big and there was no chance for a stabilized Eastern Front in the western Soviet Union. What lay ahead would be a divided Europe with the Soviets occupying much if not all of the Catholic Curtain countries.
• One month after Kursk Brigadier Fitzroy MacLean arrives at Tito’s headquarters with a promise of whatever amount of aid to the Partisans to ensure a communist victory
• Meanwhile the British demand suicidal actions by Mihajlovic of no military consequence, yet will invite massive German reprisal at a ratio of 100 Serb civilians killed for every German. Mihajlovic remarks “The British are prepared to fight to the last drop of Serbian blood”
Everyone knows the rest of the story – Tito wins in Yugoslavia and Serbia is utterly defeated. But why would the British aid a communist (Tito) in a war they foster to destroy the Soviet Union? Well put your self in the position of the British. They really had no choice. Even if the British were fully appreciative of all the Serbian sacrifices they absolutely needed a “communist”, or more precisely an anti-Serb victory in Yugoslavia. The British (remember who’s strategic concern is the post war landscape of Europe) send a seasoned anti-communist operative (MacLean) to a communist (Tito) to aid him against the pro West pro democracy Serbs of Draza Mihailovic in a war they (the British) have manipulated to destroy Communism (Soviet Union). Well the British say – Tito is killing more Germans and that’s why we help him. Aren’t these the same British, Eisenhower accused of betrayal and cowardliness for not fighting the Germans for four years? Yes, they are the same ones.
No, British backing of Tito has nothing to do with killing Germans. They know Germany is defeated. So what does motivate the British into making Tito?
Remember the Serbian Holocaust. The British and the Americans know that as a result of the Battle of the Kursk Salient there will be a divided Europe with the Soviets occupying much of Catholic Europe. They also knew that communism holds great appeal to much of the population of two other great Catholic countries, France and Italy (where the communist were the effective anti Nazi resistance, but received no aid from the US/UK).
“The overriding fact of political life all across Europe after World War II was a massive shift to the left. Disillusioned with the old line conservative politics and politicians they blamed for the conflict, millions of Europeans embraced Communist and Socialism promises of change. Communist parties became especially strong in France and Italy, where urban workers had long been drawn to Marxism” – form a forward to the History of World War II by Eric Severeid
So, the situation that will face the Western allies at the end of World War II is Soviet occupation of the Intermariam Catholic counties in the East and massive popular support for communism and socialism in France and Italy.
The British were in a position along with the Americans (but not the Soviets)to know all of the facts on the ground concerning the Serbian Holocaust and the role of the Catholic Church right up to Pope Pius XII. They also realized after Kursk there would be a divided Europe and a long ideological struggle with communism and that propaganda and claims to moral superiority (given the experiences of capitalism producing two world wars and the Great Depression in the first half of the twentieth century) would be crucial for victory. Simply put, the British and Americans feared a Serbian Orthodox victory in Yugoslavia would lead to Serb retribution and justice which would very likely lead to the downfall of the Papacy and perhaps the entire Roman Catholic Church at a time when the Soviet Union enjoyed immense prestige for its role in defeating Nazi Germany, and at a time when the masses of Europe where shifting radically to the left.
In other words if the Vatican was exposed as complicit in mass murder, if Pius XII was in the defendant box at Nuremberg, most of Western Europe may have gone communist by free elections. The cover up of the Serbian Holocaust by Tito and the West was precisely the “secret motive” that Soviets couldn’t figure out.
In defense of my loyalty to you, I am hopeful that I may deviate form strict military protocol so that justice might prevail, and for this reason I hasten to write about an incident which I personally went to inspect which happened three weeks ago. Upon visiting the District of Stolac, Chapljina and Ljubinje I was informed by one of our intelligence officers that Pavelic’s Ustashi, on a previous day, had inflicted some sort of crimes in the village of Periodic (a Serbian village in Bosnia) and that if it became public, the local Serbs would anew become disturbed and agitated.
I lack the words with which to write about what I had discovered there in a large classroom. I discovered the massacre of a teacher and 120 of her students. Not one of the students was older than twelve years. It was a crime, an improper and indecent word that surpasses all insanity. Many of them were decapitated and their heads lined up on the student benches. The intestines were pulled form the slashed stomachs by the Ustashi and like New Year’s streamers stretched across the ceiling and nailed to the walls. …
The criminals first all took turns in raping the teacher and later killed her in front of the children. During this time a gypsy orchestra was forcibly brought in and was forced to sing loudly songs and beat upon the stings of the guitars… To the eternal shame of our Roman Catholic Church – one man of God – a parish priest participating in all of this.
The massacre of Serbians has reached such proportions that many sources of water supplies have been polluted. I can personally vouch for this because I have seen a well in Popovo Polje, not far form the pit where 4,000 Serbs were disposed of, that due to that, a well is discharging crimson water because of this pollution.
An indelible stain will fall upon the culture and consciousness of Italy, if we do not while there is still time, distance ourselves from the Ustashi and prevent that it could be written that we supported this madness” Italian Army General Alexander Luzana in a letter to Mussolini (from the Military Archives of the Second Occupation Army)
So, what to do you do if you are the British and Americans? Like General Luzana, the British came to the same conclusion, but went Luzana one step further. They must prevent not only that it could be written that the Catholic Church was involved in the Serbian Holocaust, but that it didn’t happen. At stake was the very survival of the Roman Catholic Church. An instrument the British knew was absolutely vital to the Cold War. The Catholic priest who participated in the mass murder described by Luazna was not an isolated individual, but rather all too common in the Independent State of Croatia. The late Serbian Holocaust research Dr. Milan Bulajic has meticulously documented the name of over one thousand Catholic priest, monks, and seminarians that committed mass murder. So what options do the British have. Really they have only one. You create in the form of Tito, a force that is: one, anti Serb and two, entirely dependent on the West for its survival. And this is the reality behind Anglo American policy in World War II Yugoslavia. They supported Tito not because his forces were killing Germans, they supported Tito because the British and Americans knew Tito’s Partisan were killing the Serbian Orthodox resistance. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, the oldest strategy in warfare and for the British, looking ahead to the Cold War, see the Serbian Orthodox resistance movement of Draza Mihailovic as their real enemy and Tito (despite the fact he was a communist) as their friend or more accurately their accomplice (in the cover up the Serbian Holocaust).
For his part Tito could have, if he were a communist revolutionary, done just the opposite of covering up the Serbian Holocaust. He certainly knew the importance of this event for the Cold War period and could have easily and with the massive documentation at his disposal, exposed to the world the whole truth. This would have given socialist and communist every where in Europe an enormous, if not decisive political victory in dealing with the Old European Order of which the Catholic Church was the lynch pin. And at home, in Yugoslavia, he could have preserved the “Brotherhood and Unity” program by declaring the Croat masses innocent (which they were ) and laid the whole blame for the massacres at the feet of the Ustashi and their inspiration, the Catholic Church. This would have gone a long way to truly heal the divisions in post war Yugoslavia. But he didn’t, instead he passed on every opportunity to be a genuine communist and continued to do the bidding of the Anglo American Empire to his dying day.
The strategy worked and brilliantly so. Tito’s phony version of “Brotherhood and Unity” was the mechanism for covering up the Serbian Holocaust. There would be no examination or discussion of the Ustashi/Catholic Church crimes, no retribution on the perpetrators or justice for the victims. The Catholic Church was saved. The Roman Church did go on as anticipated to agitate in Poland, Lithuania, and the rests of Catholic Eastern Europe, hastening the collapse of communism. So, far from being a mistake or being tricked, the Anglo-American support of Tito was in fact a brilliant anti-communist strategy.
As the war came to an end, the Vatican with the assistance of British intelligence smuggled thousand of Croatian and Nazi war criminals out of Europe. Noteworthies include the Croatian Fuhrer Ante Pavelic and the Minister of the Interior Andrija Artukovich – the men most responsible for implementing the policy of a pure Catholic Croatia. The Americans named this operation “The Ratlines”. Cardinal Montini was the principal organizer of the Ratlines. Montini was later to become Pope Paul VI. So the British help the Nazi Ustashi with one hand and the so called communist Tito with the other, what is in common is that everything the British do in regards WW II Yugoslavia is anti Serb. To repeat an axiom of British foreign policy “Britain does not have eternal allies or friends, it has eternal interest”, so they use anyone and everyone of convenience to advance those interest.
Roosevelt had quite different war aims then Churchill. Among them was ending the colonial and imperial systems of the European powers, which he regarded as the cause of both World Wars. Of course, chief among these empires was the British Empire. However, with his decline in health and death, Anglophiles and American Catholics (Allen and John Foster Dulles and William Donavan) in the US government under the “useful idiot” Truman were responsible for, among other things, the completion of the betrayal of Serbia, the dropping of atomic bombs (against the advice of every senior US military leader, but at the insistence of the British) on defenseless Japanese cities, and the Cold War itself with its insane arms race which still threatens the existence of all humanity.
“The US and British abandonment of denazification and decartelization (programs to rid post war Germany of Nazi influence) was not a product of the Cold war, it was the cause of it. From the very first days of the occupation, the US practiced what appeared from the outside to be a duplicitous policy towards denazification of Germany.. But whether the US government intended it or not, its action cast the dye for the Cold War”. From “The Splendid Blond Beast” by Christopher Simpson, 1995, Common Courage Press, Monroe.
Only the Catholic Church and the British needed the second Yugoslavia as a means of covering up the greatest crime of the 20th Century and denying the Serbs enormous sacrifice and contributions to the Allied victory.
Will the truth about Serbia ever be known? All history to some degree is contemporary history or as George Orwell noted “he who controls the past controls the future and he who controls the present controls the past”. And it was the overnight abandonment of Mihailovic by the British that served as the inspiration for Orwell’s Animal Farm and 1984 as Orwell worked in the British Ministry of Information during WWII and learned first hand the methods of British style propaganda.
“When George Orwell published his political satire Animal Farm in 1945, he wrote a preface to the book that was deleted and censored form the rest of the text. In the preface, Orwell criticized the media censorship and suppression that was endemic in Western countries during World War II.
The censored, deleted, and suppressed proposed 1945 preface to Animal Farm was first published by The Times Literary Supplement on September 15, 1972 as an essay entitled “ The Freedom of the Press”. In the preface, Orwell analyzed and deconstructed the government and media censorship in Britain during World War II. Orwell focused on the case of Draza Mihailovich, the Serbian resistance leader in Yugoslavia who was first supported and aided by the allies, the US, Soviet Union, and Britain, but later denounced and rejected in favor of the communist Josep Broz Tito – from an article published by Serbianna. Com by historian Carl Savich
As long as the Cold War persisted, the truth of the Serbian Holocaust could never see the light of day. Just as the Canadians could not accuse their British ally of deliberate lying and manipulation during the Cold War for the disastrous Dieppe Raid that cost thousand of Canadian casualties (and would be the excuse to delay D day for almost two years)or the sex scandal that surrounds the Catholic Church today (but whose events happened in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s), could the crimes of Western states or institution be known or else the spotless mantle of Western moral superiority would be stained.
Today, of all the former communist counties in Europe (including Russia herself), only in Serbia has there not been a reexamination of their communist past. To be sure there are small minorities in practically all ex communist countries that continue to be “true believers”, but the majority of the populations and all the post communist governments have repudiated their communist past – except the present day pro western neo Titoist government of Serbia. To be more accurate, Slobodan Milosevic did repudiate Tito and did start to uncover the truth of the Unknown Holocaust of Serbs in WW II Yugoslavia. The West, in their fear of that truth coming out, unleashed the same anti Serb propaganda against Milosevic as they did 60 years earlier against Mihailovic and for the same reason and not ironically, both men ended their days in show trials conducted for the benefit of the deniers of the Serbian Holocaust.
It is a travesty of justice that the Serbs have been labeled as the aggressors. They had no desire to destroy the Federation (of Yugoslavia) although contrary to Croat propaganda, the system established by Tito favored the smaller republics. The Serbs are fierce fighters for a just cause in defense of their lands or their people, but they have never been aggressors. The Serbs don’t hate. But Croat history shows that those sections of the Croat population, the ex Communist, neo Fascist surrounding the Tudjman, the Party of Rights, and above all the Ustashi – which regrettably is calling the tune – are grotesquely Serbophobe and driven by hate and by an extraordinary phenomenon – a crusading Catholicism – which I as a sincere Catholic myself find totally abhorrent” from “The Rape of Serbia – The British Role in Tito’s Grab for Power by Michael Lees, 1990, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, San Diego.
No, the present day governments of the US and UK were no more trick by clever PR firms into supporting Croatia and Bosnian Muslims in the 90s, than the British were trick by their pet communist moles in WWII. That story is for the gullible and for the cowards in the Serbian Diaspora communities who can’t face the truth that Serbia was knowingly and deliberately betrayed by her allies for the purpose of covering up the greatest crime of the Christian Age.
As Dragan Ilitch of Los Angeles wrote in the American Srbobran a few years back in trying to understand the Serbian response to the Serbian Holocaust, he wrote, “It is as if some one killed your entire family and the best way you could come up with to deal with it is to act as if your family never existed”. He went on to say he could understand why and how the Serbs in Yugoslavia couldn’t remember the dead of the Serbian Holocaust because they lived under Tito’s dictatorship where, “Brotherhood and Unity” made it a crime to remember, but what about the Serbs in the US and Canada and the Serbian Orthodox Church in North America, what he asked is their excuse. Where are there any memorials to the victims, where is the day set aside to remember the victims, where are the scholarships to study and research the history. They are no where.
British and American intelligence assets in the Serbia Diaspora and their agent Tito worked hand in glove to make sure that the Serb Diaspora engaged in an endless internal struggle primarily through their splitting of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North America into the so called pro and anti Tito factions. The game is as old as the pick pocket con. A fight breaks out at the edge of a crowd, the crowd’s attention is diverting as they strain to see what’s going on, they can’t figure out what the fight was all about until they check their wallets and find them missing. What was stolen by the British and Americans pick pockets was:
• The Truth of the Unknown Holocaust, which should have been one of the greatest stories of WWII because of the Roman Catholic Church’s involvement in mass murder
• The Serbian inspired March 27th revolution that cost Hitler victory in WWII,
• The history of the first and largest anti Nazi resistance in Europe of Draza Mihailovic,
• The Forgotten 500. The 500 weren’t forgotten. The history of the rescue of the American airman was as deliberately buried as everything thing else Serbian in WW II. The rescued airmen were under orders not to discuss the rescue or their experiences with Mihailovic forces. If the 500 became famous, then the web of lies spawned by the British (who by the way did everything in their power to thwart the airman’s rescue mission) against Mihailovic just might start to unravel and if that unraveled, the truth of the Serbian Holocaust could see the light of day, then the entire Anglo American claims to human rights and moral superiority to rule the world would coming crashing down.
Each and every one of the above events should have resulted in a world wide acclaim for Serbia and a huge debt owed by the Western allies to Serbia, but instead what Serbia received form the British was the Kiss of Judas and crucifixion.
And that is precisely why Serbs and Serbia were subjected to the most viscous and demonic propaganda campaign in history in the 1990s. They want us to forget, they have the power to make those who chose comfort over truth to forget, but not all chose comfort over truth. It will probably take another lifetime to pass before the West can feel safe that their horrendous crime is forever buried. So, Serbia can expect to be threatened, pressure, embargoed, and bombed for at least the next 50 years.
The Anglo American Empire and their ally, the Catholic Church knows the importance of Kosovo to Serb history, culture, identity, and even to individual Serb psychology. Their effort to make Serbia except Kosovo independence is to break the spirit of the Serbian nation and its people psychologically. This axis of evil calculates that if Serbia gives up Kosovo and all that it means, then Serbs will also give up all their history and especially the history of the Serbian Holocaust and thus insure that the crimes of the Catholic Church and the Anglo American Empire will be buried along with their victims, forever.
[President] Roosevelt asked him [Yugoslav Ambassador to the US Fotic] on December 20, 1941 “How, after such horrible crimes we could expect (the Serbs) to live in the same state with the Croats”. And on an earlier occasion he [Roosevelt] had said, “it would be for the Serbs to decide what sort of community they intended to retain with the Croats after the war”.
The Resurrection of Serbia
The 2nd Yugoslavia, the Yugoslavia of Tito was a crime, a demonic project of the British Empire and a reluctant United States as junior partner. The purpose of this project was to insure an anti Serb government took power in post war Yugoslavia. And that this government’s natural hostility to Serbian claims for justice and compensation would be its reason for being. Tito’s internal republic boundaries were designed to minimize Serbian political strength and which were later recognized as international state boundaries by the West are no more legitimate than the unwitting dupe James Klugmann’s forged intelligence reports that helped to make Tito ruler of Yugoslavia. Serbia has the right and duty to correct the historic record and to makes its claims for justice and restitution against the perpetrators of the Serbian Holocaust and for the victims of civil war in Yugoslavia. For if it weren’t for the massive aid given without reservation to Tito by the UK and US, there would not have been a civil war of the magnitude or intensity between Serbs, so place another 500,000 dead Serbs at the door step of the British Empire. Unlike Stalin who tried to prevent the civil war in Yugoslavia, the British did everything in their power to incite it and wreck maximum destruction on Serbia.
The charges of mass murder and crimes against humanity against the Ustashi, the Catholic Church, Croatia, the Great Britain, and the United States have no statue of limitations. These claims are Serbia legal basis for reversing the destruction of Serbia in the 20th century. These claims should be pursued in the academic arenas, international legal institutions, the United Nations, the World Court year after year, generation after generation until justice prevails.
“And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony for which they held: and they cried with a loud voice saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on earth?” – Revelations 6:10 – 11.